Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Divorce: She still receives phone calls from men – Husband

A 30-year-old advert representative, Happiness Uwah, on Tuesday at the Igando Customary Court, Lagos called for the dissolution of her six months union to Martins Uwah over alleged battery. According to Happiness, her estranged husband was in the habit of beating her at the slightest provocation.

The couple had dated each other for about two years before the traditional wedding was consummated six months ago. Happiness added that her now estranged husband smokes, the habit he did not exhibit during courtship, saying that she does not love him anymore.

 “The first day the beating started, I was sick, so he asked me not to take any drugs that we should get to the hospital first and do all the necessary tests. “He told me to wind down and ask for the turning to Subol Hospital, but I told him I was familiar with the turning; but he suddenly stopped and asked a passerby.

 “The man said we had passed the turning, he hit my head and started beating me, I had to go home,’’ she said. Martins in response to the allegations told the court that he still loves his wife and said that Happiness behaviour towards him only depict “someone who does not want to stay married.“ “It is true that I beat her, but I have apologised.

She flares up at almost anything, there was a day we wanted to have our morning devotion, I told her to off her phone she refused. “She got angry and went to the living room, I went to talk to her, and held her, she told me not to touch her, I left her, then l went back and beat her severely. “She still receives phone calls from men.

 I always tell her that we were married by tradition, even though we were still preparing for our church wedding. “I think this whole thing is more of tribal, I’m from Akwa Ibom and she is from Imo. Her mum was against our union, she says things that are derogatory to my family, I still love her,’’ Martins said. President of the court, A. L Omilola, ordered the couple to come for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) with three members of their family each on Jan. 20. The case was adjourned till Jan. 29 for mention.

No comments:

Post a Comment